Saturday, 25 March 2017


Precision Notts Senior League
Division One
Admission Free
Att: 57

This is a match that I had looked forward to for some time, as top met second in Division One, whilst going in to the match, Calverton held a seven point lead at the top and having played a game less than their opponents, Calverton suffered a last gasp goal in a 3-2 defeat only a few weeks ago at Kimberley.

On arrival, both sides were ready to go and I got both match line ups, Calverton;s main man Tony Mullen who is a regular reader of supporter of my charity blog, kindly donated £10 towards the new charity of MAGGIES CANCER CENTRE and with the goals scored today gives a running total of £57.55p, so a BIG thankyou to Tony.

A bit of confusion lead to the referee arriving late, so the game kicked off at 3.15pm after all in the ground observed a minutes silence.

Calverton pushed forward and in their first attack struck the post, but then Kimberley looked sharper and more keener to take advantage and that they did after just 15 minutes, when a corner from the right was clipped in by ADAM THOMAS. Calverton must have though lady luck was against them when another effort bounced off the other post before being cleared to safety.

Just as the half time break was approaching, the visitors gained another corner from the right hand side, which was half cleared to KYLE WRENN who fired home from 25 yards to double his sides lead.

Calverton came out the second half more fired up and more direct and on 53 minutes were awarded a penalty, to which GEORGE SCRIVENER dispatched to reduce the arrears. This set Kimberley back and they had to defend their lead and play on the counter attack.

On 63 minutes, Calverton gained a corner which made its way out to GEORGE SCRIVENER who hit the ball in to the top corner of the net from some 35 yards out to equal up the game at 2-2.

Then came the turning point of the game on 75 minutes, when the referee gave the visitors a free kick for a back pass, the visitors took the free kick but the referee pull it back for a re-take, the second cree kick was taken and again the referee blew and wasnt happy and awarded a third free kick to which the ball ended up at MATT CLOWES feet to knock home.

The game re-started and the ref blew and produced a straight card to Calverton;s Darren Williamson, so the homesters were down to ten players. This didnt stop them pushing forward to get a equaliser, but on 87 minutes, Calverton were down to nine men when the referee produced a yellow card and then red to Lewis Wheelhouse, who said to the referee, Ive not been booked, so the referee then produced a straight red, everyone in the ground was confused, as no one saw a foul.  From the free kick on 88 minutes, a long ball was played forward to which ALEX FAULCONBRIDGE fired home.

The  nine men of Calverton pushed forward one last time and in injury time JACK HARRIS completed the scoring for the day.

A really good match to watch and you can understand why both sides are at the top of the table.

Photos from the game can be seen on this LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment