Wednesday, 3 May 2017


Midland Regional Alliance
Premier Division
Attendance: 23
Many a time, I have visited relations in Shirebrook and also each Wednesday, my son Shawn has swimming lessons at Stubbin Wood, which is only about 800 yards from Warren Terrace, the home of Shirebrook Rangers FC.

A couple of times, Ive gone to go to this venue this season but for some reason never made it, so when I saw this Wednesday Evening fixture wit a 6.30pm kick off, only 30 minutes after Shawn had finished his lesson, so this chance was too good to miss.

I texted the Rangers Manager and got a reply straight away to say that the game was on and he even sent me details of how to get to the ground and the colours that his team play in.

On arrival, I met a hopper who had travelled from Birmingham and then Veteran arrived, as the sides entered the pitch, the visiting Cromford FC keeper Adam Gratton came over to chat to me, as Ive known his dad for a long time through the non league game, but sadly he couldnt be there this evening.

The game kicked off and after just 2 minutes, the visitors nearly went in front after the keeper fumbled a routine catch and the attacker hit the post from close range. This scare seemed to settle the homesters nerves and they began to put a few passes together and after 7 minutes, they went in front from a JORDAN TUREK effort.

Cromford werent going to lay down and were very stubbon and defended well, as Rangers went forward to try and double their slender lead. 

At half time, I was offered a free cuppa, which I think it was the managers wife made , so a thankyou to her, as it wasnt expected.

The Second Half saw Shirebrook pour forward and it only looked a matter of time before the goals were going to flow, but Cromford werent giving up and were a threat on a couple of occasions and Rangers had to thank their keeper in the 57th minute, when he produced a superb one handed save that he pushed over the crossbar.

Just after the hour, Rangers got their just deserts, when a quick break down the right side, saw Jordan draw the oncoming keeper and square the ball for his brother MARK TUREK to tap home.

The last half hour seemed a bit scappy and end of season football, with the man in the middle having to stop and start the game for niggling tackles.

With the 2 goals scored at the match, this adds 50p to the charity running total for MAGGIES CANCER CENTRE at City Hospital in Nottingham at £491.90p

The photos from the match can be seen on this LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment