Sunday, 26 February 2017


Midlands Regional Alliance
League Cup
Quarter Final
Admission Free
Att: 24

With having to travel to my mums as it was her 80th birthday during the week, the family had put together a surprise birthday party for her, so I was looking for a match somewhere between Mansfield and Lichfield, but found the majority of clubs around the Lichfield area to be away from home. After scouring the internet, I found Burton Town v Allenton United with a 1pm kick off which suited the bill, but on Friday evening and Saturday Morning, I couldnt get a answer from the home club secretary, so altered my plan and before I left home decided on Cannock United FC with a 2pm kick off. As we drove down the A38 through Derby, I said to Hazel, we could find Burton Town;s ground and if its off then we have a hour spare to get to the back up match at Cannock if needed. As we were just approaching Burton Albion;s ground, my mobile rang and it was Kumar, the Secretary of Burton Town who apologised to me and kindly guided us to the ground.

On arrival, I was greeted by the clubs Assistant Secretary and the Manager of Burton Town, then as the visitors were heading back to the changing rooms, a voice said, bloody hell Rob, what you doing was old friend and Allenton United Captain Danny Briscoe, who Ive not seen since his South Normanton Athletic FC days many years ago.

I strolled to the far side of the pitch and had a chat with a group of lads who were from Willington FC, who didnt have a match.

Burton Town are in Division Two of the MRA and are sitting top at the moment, whilst visitors Allenton United sit second in the top Division, so a good close game was on the cards, so I thought..famous last words!

Allenton kicked off and was straight on the attack, they looked a taller side and seemed to be able to fairly push Burton off the ball quite easily to begin with, so it came as no surprise that after only 4 minutes, DANNY BRISCOE hammered home the opening goal of the tie. 

Burton seemed a bit shell shocked and though they pumped balls forward, Allenton seemed to be first to the ball or pickin up the second ball and straight back on the attack. After 25 minutes, Allenton were awarded a penalty, but they couldnt increase their lead, as the ball was fired well over the crossbar.

However they did double their lead on 31 minutes, when the Allenton NUMBER 7 fired a low free kick through the wall from 25 yards out to make it 0-2.

The Second Half kicked off and the half time talk must have been stern as the homesters came out firing and after 47 minutes, got a penalty of their own, to which their NUMBER 5 dispatched to halve the arrears. The home Chairman came and had a chat with me and we agreed the next goal was vital either way for this tie.

We didnt have to wait that long for that next goal as in the 54th minutes, the visiting NUMBER 9 lobbed the home keeper to restore their two goal advantage. Within 3 minutes, the tie was over, when a cross seemed to hit the head of the visiting NUMBER 6 and end up in the net to make it 1-4.

Allenton seemed to then take their foot off the gaas and in this time, it allowed the home side to show some of the football that has taken them to the top of their division, but no more goals came in the game.

Must mention the young referee who I felt had a very good match

Photos from the match can be seen on this LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment