Tuesday 27 December 2016

BERTRAM HEADS HOME THREE POINTS FOR UNITED

Evostick South Division
BASFORD UNITED FC 2 CARLTON TOWN FC 1
Att: 221

Not seen Basford United First team at their home ground since they were in the CMFL days, infact it was the Groundhop match v the defunct Notts Police FC, though I have visited te ground several times for NSL matches etc.

Hazel dropped me off at Hucknall Tram Station and I traveled 4 stops and got off at Highbury Vale, crossed the line and then strolled by the 2 outside pitches before getting to the turnsitiles. I was greeted by 2 lovely ladies on the gate, Mrs and Miss Munroe and then got me programme and raffle tickets from Santa near the club shop before bumping in to local hopper Michael Pridgeon. We had a chat and discussed how good the Basford programme was and how improved it has become over the season. Went to the tea hut and had a bit of a laugh with the young lady who looked after us on our last visit in the bar.

The game commenced and Basford were soon on the attack and on 7 minutes, the visiting defence dished out a Boxing Day present as they left the ball for BEN HUTCHINSON to run on to and fire Basford in to a early lead.

The rest of the half was quite uneventful with very few chances with both sides cancelling each others play.

The Second Half, I strolled round the dug out side of the ground and stood with Malc Storer and Kev Goodman and Big Mac and on 48 minutes Carlton Town were level when WILLIAM MELLORS-BLAIR fired home.

Basford pushed forward whilst Carlton played on the break and this looked like Carlton could just sneak a winner at this rate as the clock ticked on, but on 78 minutes, a ball floated in from the right was headed home by REECE BERTRAM to give the homesters the three points.

I stayed for a few pints after the match as £1.50 a pint of lager was too good a offer to refuse and as I was leaving the ground, I was asked my choice of Man of the Matchh, to which I gaave it to Ben Hutchinson as he chased the ball down all afternoon, he put in a few dangerous crosses and also opened the scoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment