Sunday, 6 November 2016


Notts FA Junior Cup
Second Round
Firstly Id like to thank Gary Hoe of the Notts Amateur Alliance for alerting me that the venue for this cup tie had been altered from Westwood to Jacksdale MW.

Corner Pin are a new club this season having formed from some of the ex players from Netherfield Albion thirds and some local players are around the area, whilst Mansfiueld Hosiery Mills are in their first season in the Notts Senior League Division Two with the majority of the players under 18 and coming from their now defunct under 18;s team.

A very lively start to the game as the Millers took the lead after just 3 minutes after a long throw from the left wing found the head of KAMEN BROWN. Within a minute, it could well have been 2-0 when from a similar build up Jamie Bennett headed narrowly wide. The Corner Pin then settled in to the game and showed why they are league leaders of  Division One, when they pressed forward and on 7 minutes, CHRIS RILEY unleashed a 30 yard volley to even things up. This encouraged Corner Pin to up their game and press the Miller back in their half, so it came as no surprise on 34 minutes AARON RILEY put the pinners in front from close range. s my hands were freezing and thinking of than nice warm cuppa on 44 minutes, the visitors broke on the left and LUKE GREAVES evened things up at 2-2.

The Second Half and the Millers seemed to be encouraged by that late first half goal and stepped up their game and some nice moves were denied by the home keeper who replaced a keeper at half time, but on the hour, the referee adjudged that a home defender had tripped a Mills player and KAREN BROWN stepped up and dispatched the kick to give them a 3-2 lead, the home players werent happy about the decision, but in the first half a home defender did punch the ball off the line and the referee wasnt in the position to see it and even the home players laughed about it, so sometimes its swings and roundabouts.

Hosiery Mills were now on top of this tie as sadly some of the Corner Pin players seemed to lose concentration on the game and their heads went down a little and Im sure if they had kept playing their football they are capable of they could have set up a great finish, but a couple of players seemed more intent of chasing the referee around to argue with him.

In the 70th minute, the game was all done and dusted as the ball came out to the right and LUKE GREAVES cut in and fired home.

A good tie with no really bad challenges apart from the odd strong challenge, on a poor maintained pitch, but both sides did try and play football.

Photos from the game can be seen on this LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment