Monday 31 October 2016

THE ABBEY LANE DRAW

Boston & District Football League
Division One
WOODALL SPA UNITED FC 1 SWINESHEAD INSTITUTE RESERVES FC 1
On the road back from our weeks holiday in Ingoldmells, I wanted to go to a match at a new ground and also a new league and Woodall Spa United FC fitted the bill perfectly as it was about a hour and a half home. I rang the Boston & District League Secretary on Friday evening to check the kick off time was 2.30pm as friend Herbie had text me her phone number.

On arrival at Abbey Lane, I was greeted by a chap who used to referee in the old Notts Alliance days and was soon made a cuppa for me and my wife by a lady who had just arrived at the ground. With the teamline ups gained by both managers, I took up my position at pitchside.

The game kicked off and United had a couple of decent chances to opening the scoring early on but good defending kept them at bay. On 35 minutes, a Institute ball was played out to the left wing, where SANDS caught the home keeper off his line and chipped him to put the visitors ahead.

On 39 minutes, the scores were level at 1-1 when ROBERTSON placed his penalty in to the net after a handball decision. 

At half time, I met the United Secretary who sold me some badges and also a nice cuppa. I decided to venture over to the far side of the pitch for the second half and it was the visitors who looked more inclined to score and take home the points, but brave goalkeeping by the home keeper and some narrow misses kept this match level.

A lovely ground and both sets of players wanted to play football and were a credit not only to their clubs but to their league as well

To see the match day photos please click HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment