Friday, 29 July 2016


Pre Season Friendly

These two teams met in last seasons Notts FA Senior Cup where Ben Johnson(not the sprinter) of Ruddington broke his leg in a freak accident during the tie, so the two teams arranged this friendly. I will be honest I was going to stay in and watch tele, as I had forgotton about the match, even though it was on my pre season friendlies list on this charity blog. 

At lunchtime, Sherwood had tweeted the game and I though sod the tele, a match to go to, my 10th pre season, also Ruddinton Village Reserves FC had won the Notts Senior League Respect Trophy for Division One last season but the club that won it the year before forgot to hand it back, so after a bit of chasing, it came to my house last week, so it was a good idea to just pop up the road and award it to this years owners.

I rang Mr Ruddington Steve Wilson who told me it was a 6.30pm kick off, so I tweeted it and arrived at the ground for 6pm and strolled up to the pitch, which looked excellent and Phil Kirkwood was putting up the nets and told me it was 7.45pm kick off, so it was a stroll down to the clubhouse and well didnt fancy a cuppa so had a few beers.

Before kick off I was joined by Mr Clippo Barry Clarke who was looking really well and a few others, when I asked Steve about the 6.30pm kick off, he has mistaken my question and said the players were to meet at the ground for 6.30pm.

I paid my £2 entry and stood with Mr and Mrs Dunstan during the first half. The game kicked off and Sherwood were straight on to the front foot and after just 4 minutes took the lead, but Ruddington were going to just come along and make up the numbers and were back on level terms after 6 minutes.

The rain began to hammer down but the players seemed up their game and carry on playing too a very high standard. On 20 minutes the Colliery side retook the lead to make it 2-1, but again the Villagers refused to lie down and were again level after 34 minutes.

Just before half time, Sherwood had a good spell and went in to the break 3-2 in front after a goal on 40 minutes. At half time, a well refreshed bovril was in order as the rain had stopped ut it went a bit chilly. 

The Second Half I joined Mr Short, Dean's brother, as Dean is manager of Teversal FC. The game slowed down in pace as subs were made at a regular timing. Though it was still a very good game, but then a Ruddington player had to come off with a knock and left them to play the final 20 minutes with just 10 players.

Sherwood were now finding the gaps and having played a few more friendlies, their extra fitness was showing through, so after 80 minutes, it came as no surprise that they increased their lead to 4-2.

As friendlies go, I think both teams will be glad of the run out and look at the positives from the match.

No comments:

Post a Comment