Sunday, 17 July 2016


Pre Season Double Header

Had this pre season friendly marked out for quite a while as Ravenshead FC will be newcomers to the Notts Senior League for the upcoming season. Local hopper Rob Campion from Leicester contacted me to see if I was still going and was to meet up at the ground. On the Friday I found that the day was to be a double header with the Reserves playing Derbyshire Amateurs, so it was 2 games to watch and the weather was nice enough to do that.

On arrival, I was greeted by a couple of Bilborough United players and then by their manager/chairman Dean Seymour, then I popped in to the Leisure Centre foyer to get a cuppa, before grabbing a seat on the park bench near the changing room area, when I was welcomed by the Ravenshead manager Ross.

The big surprise was that  the game was being played on a second pitch and this is being used for all their pre season friendlies, so the hoppers who count pitches, then here is a great opportunity to visit.

The referee turned up Adrian Cresswell who Ive not seen for a few years now and we had a chat before Rob Campion arrived just before kick off.

The First half went from end to end and it was a surprise that at half time it was still 0-0 as chances were going begging.

At half time it was a walk up the hill back to the Leisure centre and I got another cuppa and a bottle of pop, then me and Rob sat on a bench behind the goal to watch the second half in the shade from the bright sunshine.

The Second Half began with United on the front foot missing a couple of early chances, but after 51 minutes, a close shot from inside the 6 yard box went in to the bottom corner of the net.

Ravenshead came straight back out fighting and on 54 minutes were level when a long range shot was fired home.

The game continued to flow back and forth without any other goals being scored and a draw was a true reflection of the game at the final whistle.

After the match, Rob Campion kindly donated £10 to the blogs charity

Photos from the match can be seen on this LINK


The Second match of the afternoon saw Ravenshead Reserves all ready to kick off at 4pm whilst their visitors were looking upwards towards the car park, it emerged they only had ten players, so Ravenshead kindly borrowed them a player who needed a run out.

The Amateurs began brightly and had a couple of attacks before the homesters began to settle in to the game, after 15 minutes, Ravenshead took the lead and by then looked comfortable and continued to create chance after chance, but like in most games, if you dont finish, the side are always in the game and after 37 minutes, the club from Long Eaton were back on level terms.

The Second Half started at a frantic pace with shots for both sides going wayward until the 57th minute, when the visitors took the lead through a solo run and shot goal.

This seemed to wake the home club and they began to play their best football of the game, pushing forward at every opportunity and it came as no surprise on 77 minutes when they equalised.

This seemed to hit the visitors hard as their heads seemed to drop and the home sides passing got better and in a 4 minute spell between the 82nd and 86th minute they had added another three goals to their tally.

Photos from the match can be seen on this LINK

After the match, the Ravenshead Management/Committee kindly donated £10 towards the Charity Blog, so with the £10 donated from Rob Campion and the £2.25p raised from the 9 goals seen at the 2 matches, it takes the Blogs running total to a amazing £363.25p

No comments:

Post a Comment