Wednesday, 14 September 2016



Oadby Town have a great FA Vase history in the past but it was a pity for them tonight to see them try their best with a very young side get outplayed but on the other hand Clifton All Whites could only beat what is in front of them.

Oadby Town do have a few problems at present, as most of their squad and management walked out of the club recently and the team that was fielded tonight must have been their under 21's.

Before the game, I was greetd by all the Clifton All Whites committee, players and management and then as I was having a cuppa in walked the referee, old friend Rob Rees.

I had taken some boxes of programmes for Oadby Town;s clubshop and soon met the friendly secretary Kev Zupp and we had a chat and he was determined not to be driving the minibus back as he sunk in to a nice pint of cold guinesss.

So it was off outside and ready for kick off, and I popped in to the Ref's changing room to ask if there was to be a minutes silence in respect of Daniel Wilkinson who aged 26 last night lost his life whilst playing football for Shaw Lane Aquaforce FC, as the ref was making his final prepaarations, he asked me if I woulld go in to both changing rooms and ask both clubs, to which they agreed and when on the pitch the silent minute was observed.

The game kicked off and Clifton were on the front foot and after 22 minutes they took the lead, it soon became 2-0 when the visiting keeper fumbled the ball on 28 minutes, I felt sorry for the lad, as his dad was on the mobile at the time and had to tell his mate that his son was having a shocker.

I then went to stand behind the goal and spoke to Joe & Ann Dunstan from Ruddington Village FC, they love their local football and are always out and about, on 34 minutes, a rasping shot came in and it was 3-0.

Half time came and in the Second Half, I went and stood near the two dug outs with Draycott based Hopper Jack Warner who used to live in Ossieland and missed the hop match at All Whites as he was still over there.

All Whites started the Second Half as they left the first and that was on the front foot and on 50 minutes, it was 4-0. A good time to talk to 2 of the Clifton subs, Connor Hardy who I used to teach and had in my school football team when he was knee height and he still calls me sir, even when I tell him, its Rob, but he says its respect, gosh he must buy me a pint one day. The Trist Whitman, who I seem to have known for years when he played for Arnold Town and his mum and grandad used to come along and support him.

The game was drifting on and 68 minutes on the clock and it was 5-0 and getting very one sided and you had to feel for the visitors as they didnt give up. Infact they bought a sub on and he had 2 very close efforts from long range.

The young lads from Oadby by now were tiring and after 86 minutes they conceded again and by the 89th minute, Clifton made it 7-0.

 I do hope that Oadby Town can bounce back in the future as they have some good people involved in their club.

So Clifton All Whites FC now host Holwell Sports FC in the next round on Saturday 24th September with a 3pm kick off which Im sure will be a much tougher match,

No comments:

Post a Comment